Monday, January 11, 2016

The Friend Zone & Giving Chances

Recently, I found myself regretting not giving one of my old high school friends a chance. By saying "give a chance", I mean playing into him liking me and allowing myself to be involved with him just to see if it works out. After this time of regret, I realized, at the time in high school, I was not attracted to him. He didn't deserve a chance because I didn't want to give him one. I just didn't see it for him.


I remember everyone begging me to like him because he and I would make this awesome couple that was just so cute and adorable. I agree, looking back, we had the solid foundation of the "high school sweethearts" fantasy/love story, but I refused to compromise my own feelings or lack thereof because twenty something people thought it was a "good idea".

This is where I was introduced to the friend zone and would meet it again time after time throughout high school. In my true "feministic" ways, I believe the friend zone is just another social construct to condemn women and force us to conform into what men want us to be and do. It makes girls (the usual friend zoner) feel horrible for not giving their guy friends (the usual friend zonee) a sexual or romantic chance. To be honest, sweetheart, we just don't feel you in that manner. You're just going to have to move on from it and stop being butt hurt.

For me, this whole complaint about the friend zone that I've received is beyond disheartening and hurtful. If the only reason we are friends is to somehow gain a sexual reward, then we should never have been friends in the first place. I'm not your sexual conquest. I am a human being who seeks platonic human interaction. If you see all your female friends as sexual/romantic conquests then maybe it's you who needs to reflect on yourself and not the girl who is your "friend".

What are your thoughts on the friend zone?


xx, Jasmine

*First Seen On JSMNMarie*


Twitter | Instagram | Fashion Blog | Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment